Homoeopathy came to India as early as 1810 when, Dr. John Martin Honigberger disciple of Dr. Samuel Hahnemann visited India and treated patients. In his second visit in the year 1839, he treated the then ruler of Punjab, Maharaja Ranjit Singh with Dulcamara. Maharaja was so happy with results and he encouraged him to continue the Homoeopathic treatment in India. Homoeopathy continued to spread and Indians found in its philosophy and principles, a reflection of their belief and culture. The ancient Hindu physicians had, in fact recognized the "Law of Similars" as one of the principles of treatment. Surgeon Samuel Brooking, a retired Medical Officer had the courage and conviction to establish a Homoeoapthic Hospital at Tanjore, in South India, in 1847. There have been a number of other well-known enthusiasts like Dr. Cooper and Dr. J. Ruther ford Russel, two Government Medical Officers, Mr. H. Ryper, a military pensioner, Captain May and others of Calcutta, made Homoeopathy popular among the masses of Bengal. Last but not the least, was the services rendered by Dr. C. J. Tonnere, M.D. the French Homoeopath, proved " Acalpha Indica " in the year 1851 was first Health Officer of the town of Calcutta and later he established Homoeopathic Hospital. In 1861, a virulent epidemic of malarial fever was raging over lower Bengal and it was at this juncture that the great philanthropist, Late Babu Rajendra Lall Dutta, a layman, truly laid the foundation of Homoeopathy and started its practice with astounding results. He converted the redoubtable allopath and his opponent, Dr. Mahendra Lall Sircar, M.D. D.L., C.I. E. to Homoeopathy. Dr. P.C. Majumdar, M.D. another Homoeopath of Calcutta started his practise in 1864 and laid the foundation of Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College in 1885.
The year 1867 is also memorable for the establishment of Banaras Homoeopathic Hospital with Shri Loke Nath Moitra as Physician In-charge. In August 1869 a homoeopathic charitable dispensary was started at Allahabad with Shri Priya Nath Bose as the Physician In-charge of the dispensary Homoeopathy was not becoming popular only in Bengal, but also its fragrance started spreeading to other parts of the country. Rev. Father Muller, the great Jesuit Missionary of Mangalore in the South; Mr. P. Subbarayulu, the large- hearted lawyer of Kakinada in the East; and Mr. V. M. Kulkarni, the tireless telegraphist of Bombay in the west - all these like Babu Rajendra Lall Dutta of Calcutta, are names to conjure with the development of homoeopathy in India. Homoeopathy became more prominent with the opening of several dispensaries in the second half of the nineteenth century. In April 1937, Md. Ghias -ud-idin, M.L.A. moved a resolution in the Legislative Assembly for its recognition. The resolution was passed and forwarded to the State Governments for its implementation and Bengal was the first province to constitute a Homoeopathic State Faculty in 1943. After independence and formation of National Government, on 17th February, 1948 Shri Satish Chandra Samanta, M.P. (West Bengal) moved a resolution which runs as follows " This Assembly is of opinion that homoeoapthic system of treatment be recognized by the Indian Union and that a General Council and a State Faculty of Homoeopathic Medicine be established at once". This resolution was unanimously adopted. Government appointed a Homoeopathic Enquiry Committee in 1948 and the Committee submitted its report in 1949. In 1952, Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the then Union Health Minister appointed a Homoeopathic Ad-hoc Committee which functioned upto 1954. In 1954 Government of India constituted a Homoeopathic Advisory Committee, this Advisory Committee was taken over by the Minister of Health and Secretary. Ministry of Health became its first Chairman. Govt. of India appointed Dr. K. G. Saxena as first Honorary Homoeopathic Advisor in 1962. A Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Committee was established in 1962 to lay down the standard for Homoeopathic drugs. In 1969 for the development of ISM & Homoeopathic drugs an autonomous council was established. On 17 th December 1973, Central Council of Homoeopathy was established by the Government of India with the enactment of Central Council of Homoeopathy Act, 1973 with the following objectives.
"To evolve minimum standards for admission, duration of course of training, details of curricula and syllabi of studies of Homoeopathy, uniform title of degree and diploma, uniform courses of study of not less than four years duration and maintain central register of practitioners of Homoeopathy’’.
Uniform Education in Homoeopathy at diploma and graduate level was enforced in the country in the year 1983. Forum for Post Graduation have also been notified by Central Council of Homoeopathy. In 1978 separate Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy established.
DR. JOHN MARTIN HONIGBERGER
Dr. Honigberger was born at Krostadt, a town in Transylvania in Rumania. After passing his M.D. with distinction, he became a successful practitioner. Dr. Honigberger arrived at Lahore in 1829-30 and was later invited to treat the Maharaja Ranjit Singh of Punjab, who happened to be seriously ill. Later he stayed on in Lahore even after the death of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. He wrote a book about his experiences, titled. "Thirty-five Years in the East." He came from his native country, Transylvania through Levant, Egypt, Arabia and Persia and then on to India. He resided for about 15 years in the Punjab and returned via Afghanistan, Bokharo and Russia.
DR. PRATAP CHANDRA MAJUMDAR
Dr. Pratap Chandra Majumdar took his L.M.S. degree from Calcutta Medical College in 1878 and later got the honorary degree of M.D. from U.S.A. Converted to Homoeopathy by his father-in-law, Dr. B.L.Bhaduri, he fortified his grasp of Hahnemannian Homoeopathy as the worthy assistant to Dr. L. Salzer for a long time He proved number of indigenous drugs, and wrote a large number of books in English and Bengali. He edited the Indian Homoeopathic Review, the second oldest homoeopathic journal in India. He attended the Fourth International Homoeopathic Congress held in Chicago in June 1891. In collaboration with Dr. D.N. Roy, he established the Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College in 1881 and maintained it till his death. He expired on Oct. 22, 1922.
DR. RAJENDRA LAL DUTT
Babu Rajendra Lal Dutt may be called the Father of Indian Homoeopathy. He converted Dr. M. L. Sircar to Homoeopathy. He brought Homoeopathy into high esteem by curing illustrious luminaries like Pandit Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Raja Sir Radhakanta Dev and scores of others.
DR. MAHENDRA LAL SIRCAR
Dr. Mahendra Lal Sircar, C.I.E., M.D., D.L., was not only the greatest homoeopath of his time in India, but also a great scientist. He was born on Nov. 2, 1833 in Paikpara, near Howrah. He appeared at the M.D. Examination in 1863 and came out first. He devoted his life wholly to the propagation of the principles of homoeopathy. The Calcutta journal of Medicine, edited by him, was started in Jan. 1868 for this purpose.
DR. DIWAN JAI CHAND
Dr. Diwan Jai Chand was born on 3rd July 1887 in Bhawalpur State (now in West Pakistan) and had his initial medical education at the K.E. Medical College, Lahore. He left for U.K. in 1910 and returned in 1913 after passing L.R.C.P., L.R.C.S.(Edin), L.R.F.P. & S. (Glas), D.P.H. (Edin), D.T.M. (L?pool), L.M: (Dub).
DR. K.G. SAXENA
Dr. K.G. Saxena was born on 25th Sept 1912 at their ancestral house in old Delhi. His early schooling was at Ambala in Banarsi Das High School and Karachi in Khalsa High School. He did his matriculation from DAV High School and Intermediate from Hindu College. He took admission in Calcutta Homoeopathic Medial College and completed his studies in 1937. He was married to Shakuntala Devi on 5th March 1937.
« Home » Feedback » About Homeopathy » Origin & Growth of Homeopathy » Development of Homeopathy » Education »
|« Patient Care » « Research and Development » Statutory Body » Statutory Body »|
|« Advisory Committee « Clinical Studies and Publication » Messages »|
Developed and Hosted by WeblinkIndia.NET